It’s somewhat eerie, but the Knicks are back where they were in the spring of 1985. The 1984-85 Knicks had a dynamic scorer who went down to surgery in season and not much else to root for. Those Knicks had a bunch of role players forced into starting roles. But two things are different.
1- The 84-85 Knicks won 24 games, seven more than these Knicks did.
2- The 1985 NBA Draft had one big prize and a big drop off. This draft has at least two prizes and maybe three.
And that’s the key thing for the Knicks and their fans to remember tonight. The Knicks want to win the lottery obviously, but they will be absolutely fine picking second. Personally, I would rather have Towns than Okafor, but Okafor would be a heck of a consolation prize. Even if they picked third, Russell looks like he will be a very, very good NBA guard. The Knicks could live with him.
The problem is, the Knicks have about a 55% chance of picking in the top-3 and that means they have a 45% chance of picking 4th or 5th. (They can’t pick lower than 5th) That’s where what looks like a sure-thing pick turns into more of a guess. That’s where fans will be right to worry about who they pick.
So let’s hope the fix is on tonight like it obviously was thirty years ago.